Contact Your Elected Representatives
The 2013 legislative sessions are currently underway. NOW is the time to reach out to your elected representatives and their staff to educate them about the professional automotive recycling industry.
Getting Started - Learning the Basics
Locate Your Elected Representatives
Developing a Relationship with Your Elected Officials
Automotive recyclers are uniquely positioned to build long-term grassroots relationships with elected officals in state legislatures and in Congress. Elected representatives welcome the opportunity to interact with their constituents; those who helped them get elected and can help them get re-elected. Opportunities for automotive recyclers to create and expand upon such relationships are everywhere and the value of taking advantage of them is priceless.
Reach out and educate your elected representatives and their staff about:
Sample Letters and Steps to Consider When Meeting with Your Representative
Steps to Consider
1. Write a letter of invitation detailing the event: date, time, location, number of participants.
2. Provide the representative's staff with all the necessary contact information.
3. Inform your employees of the special guest and hand out a brief biography of the representative.
4. If desired, coordinate press coverage before the event, notifiying your local media of the event.
5. Record the event by taking photos to share.
6. Send the representative a thank you note and include any photos or press coverage the event recieved.
7. Notify ARA and your state affiliate chapter about the visit.
Additional Grassroots Links