Contact Your Elected Representatives
As a professional automotive recycler and small business owner in your community, you are your own best advocate and uniquely qualified to educate your elected officials about the automotive recycling industry. Reach out to your elected representatives and their staff today!
Developing a Relationship with Your Elected Officials
Automotive recyclers are uniquely positioned to build long-term grassroots relationships with elected officals in state legislatures and in Congress. Elected representatives welcome the opportunity to interact with their constituents; those who helped them get elected and can help them get re-elected. Opportunities for automotive recyclers to create and expand upon such relationships are everywhere and the value of taking advantage of them is priceless.
Reach out and educate your elected representatives and their staff about:
Locate Your Elected Representatives
Sample Letters and Steps to Consider When Meeting with Your Representative
Steps to Consider
1. Write a letter of invitation detailing the event: date, time, location, number of participants.
2. Provide the representative's staff with all the necessary contact information.
3. Inform your employees of the special guest and hand out a brief biography of the representative.
4. If desired, coordinate press coverage before the event, notifiying your local media of the event.
5. Record the event by taking photos to share.
6. Send the representative a thank you note and include any photos or press coverage the event recieved.
7. Notify ARA and your state affiliate chapter about the visit.
Getting Started - Learning the Basics
2. Advocacy Do's and Dont's
Additional Grassroots Links